With the ever-rising costs of city living, it's no wonder many of us are dreaming of living somewhere else. More and more Americans are packing up and heading to the suburbs, not just for affordability, but for a better quality of life.
Drawing from insights provided by Moving Feedback, we've pinpointed six cities that truly embody this suburban dream. In these places, residents enjoy modern conveniences, the warmth of close-knit neighbors, and a bit of well-deserved luxury.
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Coming in at number two on the list, Ponte Verda Beach offers the best of both worlds: breathtaking ocean views and a touch of luxury. The presence of upscale gated communities and access golf courses, like TPC Sawgrass, add to its charm. Plus, its proximity to Jacksonville and St. Augustine gives locals plenty of things to do.
- New construction mainly consists of luxury homes, condos, and golf-course communities.
- The average income is $179,643 annually, with a 3% unemployment rate.
- The average home price in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, is $ 805,402.
South Park, North Carolina
Ranking at number four, South Park is known for high-end shopping and dining options. The meticulously maintained neighborhoods exude safety, and the low crime rates compared to other parts of Charlotte are a testament to that. Its closeness to Uptown offers the perfect combo of suburban peace and urban vibrance.
- Most new construction homes are single-family homes with three to five bedrooms. The top-rated schools make it popular amongst families.
- The average annual household income is $98,833, with an unemployment rate of 4.9% in Charlotte.
- The average home price in South Park, NC, is $699,000.
Forest Acres, South Carolina
Securing the fifth spot on the list, Forest Acres offers affluence and proximity to Columbia. Education is emphasized with access to top-tier schools, like Columbia University, and a commitment to maintaining a safe environment makes it ideal for families.
- There is a mix of custom-built luxury homes, along with modest new homes as well. Most homes sit on larger lots between 0.25 to 1 acre, providing a spacious neighborhood feel.
- The median household income is $101,306, with an unemployment rate of 4.9%.
- The average home price in Forest Acres, SC, is $655,000.
Sugar Land, Texas
Ranked sixth among America's most envied suburbs, many things about Sugar Land make it sweet. From the interactive exhibits at the Fort Bend Children's Discovery Center to watching performances at the Smart Financial Center, there's always something fun to do. And did we mention the endless food options? Being only a 30-minute drive from downtown Houston (minus traffic), Sugar Land is perfect for those looking for a suburban lifestyle in a big city.
- New construction is booming in master-planned communities like Greatwood and New Territory. Most homes have between four and five bedrooms, ranging from 1,800 to over 4,000 square feet.
- The average household income is $157,924, with an unemployment rate of only 3%.
- The average home price in Sugar Land, TX, is $489,000.
"The new state of the art Smart Financial Centre located in Sugar Land has become a very popular hall for concerts, comedian shows, and musicals. It has attracted many popular musical artists and comedians."
Tarsha Jackson, Houston Area New-Home Expert
Earning the seventh spot, Alpharetta is easily overlooked. Only a 30-minute drive from Atlanta, the area offers high-performing schools, job growth, and plenty of activities for families. From shopping and dining at the Avalon to equestrian events at the Wills Park Equestrian Center, Alpharetta has seen rapid population growth, more than tripling from 1990 to 2020. It's now home to over 71,000 residents.
- New construction primarily focuses on townhomes and smaller single-family homes, making it perfect for first-time homebuyers and downsizing.
- Job growth in technology and healthcare has attracted many high-earning professionals to relocate to Alpharetta.
- The average home price in Alpharetta, GA, is $795,000. The median income is $133,920, with an unemployment rate of only 2.50%.
Alamo Heights, Texas
As America's 8th most envied suburb, Alamo Heights perfectly blends history, culture, and modern amenities. Whether you're exploring the creative treasures of the McNay Art Museum or walking down Broadway Street, the city never fails to inspire. Its top-rated schools and fifteen-minute drive to downtown San Antonio make it an ideal location for families and professionals craving a strong sense of community.
- There is a mix of new construction architectural styles, including Spanish, colonial, traditional, and modern. Most homes have three to five bedrooms, ranging from 2,000 to over 5,000 square feet.
- The median home price in Alama Heights, TX, is $235,000. However, luxury homes are becoming more popular.
- The average household earns $152,188, with an unemployment rate of 1.7%.
Are you inspired to leave city life behind and move to one of these top suburbs? With NewHomesMate, you're not just exploring communities; you're experiencing them. Explore new construction projects in these areas, book hassle-free tours, and let our New Homes Experts streamline every step for you. From understanding your preferences to ensuring you sign on all the dotted lines at closing, we've got you covered. Start your search with NewHomesMate today.