What Is a 55+ Active Adult Community?
Today many people aged 55 and over view their later years not as a time to settle down and live a routine life, but rather as an opportunity for an active, vibrant lifestyle in which they can explore new interests, enjoy a social life, and make the most of the savings they have accumulated. If that sounds like the life you want to lead, then you may want to explore the possibility of living in a 55+ active adult community.
A 55+ active adult community is designed and built to accommodate the needs and preferences of people aged 55 and older who wish to live an active and independent lifestyle in their later years. Active adult communities offer a variety of home options designed to suit all needs and lifestyles, including single-family homes, multi-family homes, townhomes, and condominiums. These communities also offer resort-style recreational amenities and a range of community spaces and activities, making it easy for residents to enjoy an active and social lifestyle throughout their later years.
The Benefits of Living in a 55+ Active Adult Community
An active adult community is so much more than just a place to live, it’s a place where you can enjoy a greater quality of life and wellbeing. The benefits of living in an active adult community include:
- Recreational amenities at your doorstep - From fitness centers and swimming pools to exercise classes, walking trails, and tennis courts, living an active and healthy lifestyle is both easy and convenient.
- Opportunities to mingle, learn, and grow - Many active adult communities have staff members or a team of residents who are responsible for organizing community events and activities. Imagine having your calendar full of activities that include everything from trivia nights and community outings to book club meetings, dance classes, and volunteer opportunities.
- A community of people in the same stage of life - In many ways, the community you live in is an extension of your home and family. Living in an active adult community makes it easy to form social connections with others who are in a similar stage of life to you. And, of course, living in the same community makes it easy to enjoy their company more regularly.
- Lower maintenance - Living in an active adult community allows you to break away from the routine by taking away some of your responsibilities. Many active adult communities provide exterior maintenance services and landscaping as part of their homeowners’ association services so you won’t have to worry about mowing the lawn or maintaining your yard anymore. Phew! What a relief!
Tips to Help You Choose the Ideal Active Adult Community For You
There isn’t an ideal active adult community for everyone–the right community for you is one that offers everything you need to live the life you want in your later years. Here are some tips to help you search for and choose the ideal active adult community for you.
- Location is important - Although living in an active adult community may mean you have many activities and amenities at your fingertips, you still need to consider what else is nearby. The first step is to find out what healthcare and other essential services are available in the area. Also check out the stores, restaurants, and entertainment options that will be available to you, and think about how they meet your needs and preferences.
- Transportation - If you do not drive or you think it may be possible that you will give up driving as you age, you will need to consider the transportation options that will be available to you as well.
- Your lifestyle and interests - It’s a good idea to compare active adult communities to find the one that best matches your lifestyle and interests. While some amenities may seem enticing, they will only add value to your lifestyle if you’re going to use them. Similarly, you may want to find out about the types of social activities, clubs, and classes on offer in the community and consider whether you would actually participate in them.
- Your budget - In addition to the cost of a home in the community, you need to evaluate the cost of monthly homeowners association fees and any additional costs you will responsible for on an ongoing basis.
Why a Newly Constructed Active Adult Community May Be the Right Choice For You
As you plan for the next stage of your life, you want to be sure that the home and community you choose make it possible for you to live the lifestyle you desire. Buying a home in a newly constructed active adult community makes this possible. By giving you the ability to choose from a range of design and floor plan options, buying a new construction makes it easier to find a home that is well-suited to your needs and preferences. And with modern amenities and thoughtfully designed community spaces, a newly constructed active adult community makes the dream of living your best life in your later years a reality.
At NewHomesMate, we understand how important it is to you to find the right home and community for this next chapter of your life, and we’re committed to helping you every step of the way. We provide industry-leading search tools to help you find your new home and community and have dedicated new home experts available to assist you throughout the process. Learn more about us and start searching for your new active adult community with NewHomesMate today!